The Big Fellow: Michael Collins and The Irish Revolution
Size: 127 mm x 196 mm
Publisher: The Mercier Press Ltd
Click and Collect - Free
Click & Collect is available across Ireland and Northern Ireland in our Veritas stores. We will contact you when your item(s) are ready for collection. Please visit your branch after you receive contact from us that your items are available to collect. The order will be ready for you within 2-5 working days, subject to opening hours, order volumes, if the item is in stock and time order is placed.
Standard Express Delivery
Complimentary shipping within Ireland & Northern of Ireland is available on orders over €50, delivery fees will be added according to the area of delivery, as described below:
|Country Zone||Under €50||Over €50||TimeFrame|
|Ireland||€4.99||Free!||3-7 working days|
|Northern Ireland||€4.99||Free!||3-7 working days|
|UK||€12.00||€15.00||3-7 working days|
|Europe||€17.00||€25.00||3-7 working days|
|USA & Canada||€35.00||€50.00||7-14 working days|
|Rest of the World||€50.00||€50.00||7-21 working days|
|Country Zone||Under €500||Above €500||TimeFrame|
|Ireland||€6.00||Free!||3-7 working days|
|Northern Ireland||€6.00||Free!||3-7 working days|
|UK||€12.00||Free!||3-7 working days|
• Click and collect orders are "free" as there is no shipping involved.
• If the order after discount is applied is below €50 or €500 (trade or School orders), shipping will be charged.
• EUA, Canada and Rest of the World shipping charges are for parcels with maximum weight of 2kg.
• These time frames are a guide and shipping times may vary, especially at busy periods.
• Please allow a few days leeway for personalised products or pre-orders.
• We are aware of some shipping delays throughout Europe and the USA caused by unforcing circusntances or territorial border control restrictions. This is out of our control. Please allow a few days leeway for your delivery.
• Subject to placing your order before 12:30pm. Does not apply to pre-ordered items.
• Check on our Delivery Policy page, the delivery areas. We do not deliver to Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
Popular biography of Michael Collins, written by a renowned Irish author, with a new introduction by filmmaker Neil Jordan. It is an uncompromising but humane study of Collins, whose stature and genius O'Connor recognised. A masterly, evocative portrait of one of Ireland s most charismatic figures, 'The Big Fellow' covers the period of Collins' life from the Easter Rising in 1916 to his death in 1922 during the Irish Civil War. The author, having served with the Anti-Treaty IRA during the Irish Civil War, wrote 'The Big Fellow' as a form of reparation over the guilt he felt with regards to taking up arms against his fellow Irishmen and Collins' untimely death. Liam Neeson has said that he found the book of great assistance when preparing for the role of Collins in the 1996 film directed by Neil Jordan.
About the Author
Frank O'Connor (1903-66) grew up in Cork city and fought in the Irish War of Independence and in the Civil War on the anti-Treaty side. He was the author of 150 works and is best known for his short story collections and memoirs. He also worked as a teacher, lecturer and translator. The Frank O'Connor short story festival has been run in his home town since 2000. His story 'Guests of the Nation' was the inspiration for Neil Jordan's film 'The Crying Game'.