Faith Practice of The Month - April
Every month, we suggest a Faith Practice which you and your home, school or parish community might like to take on as part of your commitment for the Year of Faith. It is our hope that these simple practices will stir in us the ‘renewed conversion of the Lord’ that Pope Benedict XVI calls for in Porta Fidei (n. 6).
Faith Practice of the Month for April: Supporting Catholic Education
Catholic education in Ireland has changed, is changing and will continue to change. When Edmund Rice was born, Catholic education in any form was prohibited. In just over 250 years, this situation changed almost entirely to the point where approximately 93 per cent of primary schools in the State are Catholic. Recognising the shifting demographics of the population in recent times, it is likely that this number will fall in future years.
Rather than seeing this change as a threat, our opportunity, in this Year of Faith, is for us to celebrate and support the important work that is ongoing in Catholic schools all around the country. Whether you are the parent, grandparent or godparent of a child who attends a Catholic school, or simply a parishioner who values Catholic education, you can demonstrate your support for your parochial school in the following ways:
- Sponsor a religious icon or artefact, such as a crucifix, for the school building
- Join or establish a children’s liturgy group in your parish
- Donate a Children’s Bible to each class in the school
- Read the school’s mission statement or schedule and consider how you see it lived out
- Establish a Grandparents’ Association in your parish and discuss the ways in which grandparents can share faith with the children in their families
- Pray for the teachers, principals and Board of Management in your local school
- Volunteer as part of the Do This In Memory or You Shall Be My Witnesses programmes for children preparing for the sacraments
- In consultation with the Parish Pastoral Council or parish priest, distribute materials from the parish community to the school, for example, Trócaire boxes, notices of reconciliation services, parish events etc.
- Help to organise events to mark Catholic Schools Week in the parish community
- Volunteer to prepare and maintain a Sacred Space in the school’s reception area, which changes with the liturgical seasons.
Previous Faith Practices of the Month:
October 2012: Pray part of the Rosary every day
November 2012: Praying for those who have died
December 2012: Enthroning the Christmas Crib
January 2013: Performing Corporal Works of Mercy
February 2013: Lenten Practices
March 2013: Celebrating the Sacrament of Reconciliation
There are no products matching the selection.