This powerful and inspiring prayer book from the Apostleship of Prayer—“the pope's worldwide prayer network”—engages readers with the Church's daily scripture readings and introduces Catholics and other Christians to the traditional spiritual devotion known as lectio divina, or “sacred reading,” in a new way.
Led in your daily journey by the Apostleship of Prayer—an international Jesuit prayer ministry—you’ll use an accessible, six-step process inspired by Ignatian spirituality that will enhance your reading of scripture and provide you with practical applications that will change your heart and enrich your prayer life.
Sacred Reading: The 2017 Guide to Daily Prayer guides you through the Church’s daily gospel readings, as well as readings for solemnities and feast days, asking you to
- - know that God is present;
- - read the gospel;
- - notice what you think and feel;
- - pray for yourself and others;
- - listen to Jesus; and
- - ask God to show you how to live today.
Beginning with Advent and following the entire Church year, this book is a catalyst for an intimate encounter with Christ by reading, reflecting, praying, and responding to the Word of God in a way that is both familiar and fresh.
Features & Benefits
- - In its first year, the Sacred Reading series sold more than 38,000 copies.
- - The Apostleship of Prayer, known as “the pope's worldwide prayer network,” was established in 1844 and has more than 35 million members worldwide.
- - Daily readings are supported and enhanced by video commentary from AOP National Director Rev. James Kubicki, S.J., and blog posts by AOP Executive Director Douglas Leonard available on the Apostleship of Prayer website.
Apostleship of Prayer
The Apostleship of Prayer is an international Jesuit prayer ministry that reaches more than 50 million members worldwide through its popular website, ApostleshipofPrayer.org, and through talks, conferences, publications, and retreats such as Hearts on Fire. Known as “the pope’s prayer group,” the Apostleship’s mission is to encourage Christians to make a daily offering of themselves to the Lord and at whose center is the love of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Sacred Reading offers a superb introduction to Ignatian prayer that anyone can use. Too often Ignatian prayer is seen as something reserved only for Jesuits, for people trained in the Spiritual Exercises, or for those who have time for a directed retreat. But this book, created by experts in the traditions of Ignatian prayer, helps the reader to encounter Jesus through short scripture passages, inviting questions and accessible reflections. It’s an innovative way to be invited, with gentle wisdom, into meeting Jesus in your prayer.
- Rev. James Martin, S.J., author of Jesus: A Pilgrimage
Sacred Reading is an indispensable resource in deepening your prayer and devotional life. Lectio divina will change how you see your relationships—with the Lord, with others, and with yourself. Highly recommended!
- Most Rev. David L. Ricken, Bishop of Green Bay
Communion with God increases dramatically as we grow in knowledge of God’s Word. For most people the problem is simply getting started: determining where to begin. A most ancient and venerable practice is lectio divina, scripture reading that is meditation and contemplation but also application. Sacred Reading is an uncommonly useful tool in really getting into scripture in just this way.
- Rev. Michael White and Tom Corcoran, authors of Rebuilt
Sacred Reading has become a friend in prayer. I find the format particularly engaging as it inspires me to reflect on the Word of God in a prayerful, practical, and personal way.
- Hilda Walter, Administrative Assistant at Gesu Parish, University Heights, Ohio
In just six simple steps, Sacred Reading opens our minds and hearts to scripture in refreshing and profound ways. The daily meditations are clear and concise and yet filled with wisdom and promise. Reading scripture daily is good; reading scripture daily with Sacred Reading as your guide is awesome.
- Marge Fenelon, author of Imitating Mary
This guide through the gospel texts of the daily lectionary offers a fully-embodied experience that includes the mind, heart, imagination, desire, and behavior. This way of prayerfully reading the gospels as the Spirit-empowered Word of God shows us how to open our lives to be continually formed in Christ.
- Stephen J. Binz, speaker and author of Transformed by God’s Word
In his apostolic exhortation The Joy of the Gospel, Pope Francis invites us to be people of prayer. Sacred Reading is an excellent aid in responding to that invitation. This book offers a clear, helpful, and inspirational guide to deepen our love for scripture as we ponder God’s Word and live it out in our daily lives.
- Most Rev. Robert F. Morneau, Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus of Green Bay
Sacred Reading is the perfect companion for the lectio journey.
- Sonja Corbitt, author of Unleashed