Lectionary-based and action-oriented, Open Our Hearts: A Small-Group Guide for an Active Lent (Cycle C) is a dynamic six-week Lenten program that links Catholics more deeply to the traditions of the Church and to their fellow parishioners. The pastoral expertise of Sr. Donna Ciangio, O.P., and Fr. Thomas Iwanowski enables Catholics to connect what they hear on Sunday to their daily activities during the rest of the week.
Guide your parishioners through the Lenten season with a program that is:
- Built on the Gospel: Meeting outlines provide the Sunday Gospel readings, thought-provoking commentary, conversation questions, prayer, activities, and suggestions for Christian living.
- Rooted in Church: The very structure of Open Our Hearts reveals its dependence upon the Body of Christ, and the Christian life that cannot be lived except in community.
- Focused on Mission: The conviction and commitment of the authors work on behalf of the Kingdom of God comes through in every aspect of this timely project, which is both challenging and empowering.
- Lectionary-Based: Follows lectionary Cycle C.
Donna L. Ciangio
Donna L. Ciangio, O.P., a Dominican sister of Caldwell, New Jersey, is a church leadership consultant and has worked previously at Renew International and the National Pastoral Life Center. She has published widely on parish life and is chair of the board of the North American Forum for Small Christian Communities. She holds bachelor’s degrees in fine arts and religious studies from Caldwell College, a master’s in fine arts from New York University and a doctor of ministry, cum laude, from Drew University. She also holds teacher certification in the states of New Jersey and New York.
Father Thomas B. Iwanowski is a Roman Catholic priest, ordained in 1975. He has served in various parishes in the Archdiocese of Newark, New Jersey, including fourteen years as pastor of Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish in Jersey City. Iwanowski is a former director of the Office of Divine Worship for the Archdiocese of Newark and former adjunct professor of homiletics. He writes and teaches extensively on liturgy and worship, and has published more than sixty-five articles in various publications. He also publishes a weekly e-mail newsletter called LookingToSunday, which focuses on the gospel of the coming Sunday. He is currently pastor of St. Joseph Parish in Oradell, New Jersey.
Sr. Donna Ciangio and Fr. Thomas Iwanowski offer a comprehensive tool for serious Lenten faith development. Open Our Hearts is friendly, self-directing, and solidly rooted in the Lectionary. It offers Catholic teaching and tradition, but also guides users to connect daily life and their faith. For Catholics who want to deepen their faith in a small-group setting, this is a great resource.
- Bill Huebsch, Director of ThePastoralCenter.com, Author of The Growing Faith Project
The authors inspire us to be attentive to Gods word during the season of Lent as the Church embarks on her annual retreat up the mountain toward Easter. Open Our Hearts is a wonderful resource for both personal use and parish faith formation.
- Sandra DeMasi, S.S.J., Director of Liturgy and Worship, St. Rose of Lima Parish, Short Hills, New Jersey
This is an ideal small-group, Lectionary-based resource for Lent 2012. The inclusion of prayers, Gospel readings, reflection questions, and soup recipes for a light Lenten meal makes Open Our Hearts perfect for new and experienced small groups alike.
- Harry Kocurek, Pastoral Associate, St. John The Baptist Catholic Church, Edmond, Oklahoma