In an exceptional combination of an ancient form of Scripture study with historical, theological, and biblical perspectives on the Creed, Stephen Binz leads us on an incredible journey of enlightenment and appreciation.
The Creed, proclaimed in Christian initiation and eucharistic liturgy, professes the faith of the ancient church. Discover how and why we proclaim belief in God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and in the church as one, holy, catholic, and apostolic. Explore how the Scriptures formed the Creed and how the Creed continues to guide our interpretation of Scripture.
Lectio Divina, the ancient practice of Scripture immersion, is at the heart of this process. Combined with the tradition and scholarship of the Church, it explores complex topics with sequential steps of study, meditation, and internalization. Specifically, every chapter leads you forward through a sequence of:
- Listening – Reading Scripture with expectancy, trusting that God will speak His Word to us through it
- Understanding – Seeking to comprehend the meaning of the text, encountering God there and being changed by that encounter
- Reflecting – Linking the truth of the Scriptures to the experience of faith in the world in which we live
- Praying – A dialogue with God: we listen to God, then we respond in prayer
- Acting – After prayerfully listening to God through a passage of Scripture, we should be inspired to make a difference in the way we live
The Lectio Divina Bible Study series is suitable for parish, small group, or individual use.
Stephen J. Binz
Stephen J. Binz is an award-winning author of over 30 books, biblical scholar, popular speaker, and psychotherapist. His many books include the new series Ancient-Future Bible Study (Brazos Press), Lectio Divina Bible Study (OSV), Threshold Bible Study (Twenty-Third), and Conversing with God in Scripture series (Word Among Us). Following graduate degrees at the Gregorian University, the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome, and Hebrew University in Jerusalem, he has developed Bible studies in the church for over two decades and has offered numerous study trips and pilgrimages to biblical lands. Binz speaks frequently at churches and national conferences in the area of biblical studies, Christian spirituality, and psycho-social personal development. He is a L.C.S.W. and holds an S.S.L. in biblical studies. He lives with his wife Pamela in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.