Community of Faith.
The NCCA syllabus for Religious Education for Junior Certificate students and the Irish Catholic Bishops Conference Guidelines for the Faith Formation and Development of Catholic Students provide the background for this series of textbooks from Veritas.
The full series is now available:
First Year: Community of Faith
Second Year: Community of Hope
Third Year: Community of Love
All student textbooks are in full-colour and deal, in a manner suited to First, Second and Third Year
students, with each of the six sections outlined in the NCCA Syllabus for RE at Junior Cycle Level.
The text is accompanied by teachers notes on a CD-ROM, which is free to all teachers. This includes
photocopiable worksheets which may be printed from the CD-ROM for use in the classroom. An identical hard copy teachers book is available for Community of Faith.
The teachers text on CD-Rom is free of charge.
- Follows the NCCA syllabus for Junior Certificate Religious Education.
- Is age appropriate; each book is specifically aimed at the appropriate year group and builds on the
concepts from the previous year. The Community Series is more than just textbooks; it is a programme involving the principles of knowledge, understanding, skills and attitudes.
- Supports the role of prayer and offers the students opportunities to include prayer as part of the
programme , prayerful reflections and prayer services are built into each section of the series.
- Allows students to work with only one book at a time. They do not need to keep all three books. In third year, Community of Love contains revision work from the previous two years and brings together, following up-to-date educational methodologies, the six sections of the NCCA syllabus and how they relate to each other.
- Is suitable for students who will not sit the Junior Certificate examination in Religious
Education but who wish to follow the syllabus.
Linda Quigley is a graduate of the Mater Dei Institute of Education where she is currently completing her Masters thesis in Religious Education. She has experience of both primary and postprimary Religious Education and has a post-graduate qualification in Remedial Education.